Established in May 2013, Marley’s Hope dog rescue is an all breed rescue organization. We are a registered not for profit organization, comprised of a dedicated team of volunteers.
Reporting to the Shelter Coordinator, the Shelter Support Volunteers are responsible for caring for the dogs to support their physical and emotional well being through providing a clean kennel, regular meals, exercise and play time and most importantly assistance in finding their forever home.
- Cleaning kennels in accordance with established shelter protocols.
- Preparing meals and feeding dogs.
- Administering oral and topical medications as prescribed by a Veterinarian.
- Provide dogs with appropriate exercise through walking, mental stimulation, play and positive physical contact.
- Encourage positive adoptable behaviours and basic leash skills.
- Provide affection with petting and grooming.
- Assist prospective adopters by helping to match their personalities and lifestyles with the traits and characteristics of one of our adoptable animals.
- May be required to perform other related shelter functions as required.
- Schedule to be determined. May include weekends and holidays.
- Comfortable working with dogs, including large breed dogs.
- Knowledge of animal care and welfare considered an asset.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Willingness to work in all weather conditions.
- Excellent communication skills.
Physical & Psychological DemandsMust be able to:
- maintain confidentiality and respect the privacy of shelter clients & potential adopters.
- interact respectfully with a diverse client group.
- maintain composure when dealing with emotionally charged situations.
- walk or stand for long periods.
- lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
- bend, reach, hold, grasp and turn objects; and use fingers.
- speak normally and to use normal or aided vision and hearing.
- work in an environment with frequent distractions and interruptions.
- attend mandatory training sessions on shelter operations.